Preparing Pressed Tofu
Many of our Chicken-Free Recipes call for pressed tofu. Here
are the simple steps to prepare the tofu:
- Unwrap the tofu and shake off any excess moisture.
- Place the tofu in a freezer bag or wrap well in plastic.
- Freeze the sealed tofu for at least 24 hours. (Frozen
tofu can keep in the freezer indefinitely, so feel free
to always have a few blocks on-hand in the freezer.)
- Once frozen, thaw the tofu by placing itunwrappedinto
a microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover the bowl and microwave* on high, checking every
2 to 3 minutes to make sure the tofu doesn't cook.
- Once thoroughly defrosted, gently squeeze out any excess
Now the pressed tofu has an even firmer texture and is ready
for any of the recipes below!
* If you don't use a microwave, frozen tofu
can be thawed by putting it in a pan of boiling water for
2 to 4 minutes. Alternatively, transfer the frozen tofu from
the freezer to the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
and More Chicken-Free Recipes